Superfoods are foods that contain more nutrients than the average food. The best fall foods for health are the ones mother nature gives us during this season. They encompass a variety of fruits and veggies the body needs to antidote the qualities present in the changing season. For instance, fall is cool, dry and windy. To counteract these effects, you need more cooked, heavy, oily foods to stay balanced.
These are the 13 best seasonal superfoods that you want to eat more of during the fall season to keep you healthy through the winter.
Best Fall Foods For Health
Apples are a “miracle food” to eat in the fall because they help to cool your body down after the heat of summer. They contain loads of fiber to clean out your intestines and prepare them for the dry winter ahead. High in vitamins A and C and calcium, apples reduce the risk of heart disease, hypertension, and cancer.
The skin of a raw apple is beneficial because it can help remove plaque from the intestinal tract. At the same time, it can be difficult to digest and can cause gas.
The best way to eat apples in fall and winter is to cook them. Cooked apples are often called “stewed apples.” Ayurveda considers stewed apples one of the most healthy breakfast foods for this season. Stewed apples stimulate digestion, metabolism and a healthy bowel movement.
2. Butternut Squash
Not only is butternut squash the ultimate comfort food, but it is also an excellent food for fall health. Harvested in the late summer, it has demulcent qualities to antidote the dry conditions of fall. This winter squash is a great food to eat more of in autumn because it's grounding, prevents inflammation and promotes a healthy immune system.
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Vitamins A & C
- Manganese for healthy bones
- Fiber for regulating your bowels
- Vitamin B6 essential for a healthy immune and nervous system.
This Pumpkin Millet is one of our fall favorites:
7. Brussels Sprouts
If you disliked Brussel sprouts as a kid, give them another try. Many people have told me they feared and avoided them as a child, but found they love them as adults.
They are an excellent source of Vitamin C and K and contain a good amount of B vitamins such as vitamin B6, folic acid, and other essential minerals. They are also an excellent source of protein and fiber and contain no cholesterol.
9. Sweet Potatoes
Carrots also have high calcium content which makes them an excellent choice for healthy bones and teeth.
Here's a fun and yummy way to enjoy carrots that everyone loves!
Parsnips are great at preventing constipation, fighting cancer and reducing the cholesterol. Eat more of them if you have psoriasis or eczema.
I like to roast them with a little honey, mustard glaze.
Roasted Parsnips With Maple Mustard Glaze
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Peel and halve lengthways
- Put them in a shallow dish with enough olive oil to coat
- Season with salt and pepper and roast for 40-45 minutes or till golden
- Mix maple syrup and whole grain mustard and pour over parsnips for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
Why Thrive Market?
Do you know about Thrive Market?
It's an online health food market selling organic groceries and natural health and beauty products. All I can say is that I've become a wholehearted supporter over the last year! In fact, I recently wrote a review of Thrive Market to spread the word. Here's why…
- Products at Thrive Market are typically 25-50% less expensive than if you were to purchase the exact same item at Whole Foods or your local market. They even have Amazon's prices beat!
- They have continuous promotions that enable you to save even more money or get free gifts. For example, clicking this link will get you a free bottle of maple syrup.
- If you use this link, you can save another 25% off your first order and get free shipping – This is in addition to the 25-50% off you'll already be saving.
- It's quick and convenient – My orders arrive typically within 2 days. For example, if I order on Monday, my box arrives on Wednesday… And they have free nationwide delivery!
- Thrive Market is a socially conscious platform with a social mission. For every member on their site, the company also sponsors a free membership for a low-income family make healthy food available for all! How cool is that?