When you know how to make ghee at home you’ll save money, and benefit from one of the best rejuvenating and longevity-promoting foods. The Charka Samhita (the main Ayurvedic text) says that the regular use of ghee is good for digestion, enhances memory, and increases vital energy.
What is Ghee?
Ghee is simply clarified butter with the milk solids removed, so there is no lactose. In fact, it’s considered a premium cooking oil because of its delicious nutty taste, nutritional benefits, and medicinal properties. Aside from that, Ayurveda considers it one of the best fats you can eat.
Ghee as Medicine
Did you know that ghee is much healthier for you than butter? Butter can block the channels of the body, while ghee actually helps to remove blockages. For thousands of years, it’s been used as a digestive and elimination aid, for energy and vitality, skin and eye health, as a lubricant for the joints and for alkalizing the blood.
Live an Ayurveda Lifestyle
An Easy Guide to Using Ayurveda in Western Daily Life
Enter your Name & Email to .
Cooking With Ghee
Ghee is wonderful to cook with and is perfect for sautéing vegetables and spices. This is because it can be heated to high temperatures without burning. It has a soothing, delicious caramel, sweet nutty taste, and can be substituted for butter or oil in any recipe. It is delicious on popcorn!
This high-quality fat is typically stored at room temperature. It does not go rancid easily. Just use a clean spoon when taking ghee from the jar or ghee pot to prevent contamination from other foods.
How to Make Ghee at Home
- Place 1 lb organic, unsalted butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat. The better the butter the better the ghee. (The low heat allows the milk solids to caramelize and is the secret to exceptional ghee).
- Let it melt slowly and come to a low boil without stirring and watch as foam begins to form at the top.
- After it reaches this stage, continue to cook approximately 15 minutes.
- Pour and filter the ghee through cheese or muslin cloth to a ghee pot or a clean glass jar.
- When it cools it will become semi-solid.
If you can’t find the time to make your own ghee at home, this brand is the best on earth, IMHO. 🙂
Please promise me one more thing… You won’t hesitate to ask me questions in the comment area below. I’m here to help you out and I would love nothing more than for you to be the healthiest and happiest version of yourself possible. Let me know if you need anything and I will be sure to get back within “hours” most of the time.
I look forward to helping you!