What is a Tea Detox?
How Does a Tea Detox Work?
Detox teas work by combining an assortment of herbs used for medicinal purposes. Dandelion root, lemon verbena, milk thistle, and licorice clean the colon, liver and other organs. Some of these herbs contain high levels of antioxidants that neutralize free radicals that cause damage to your body.
Teas from the Camellia Sinensis plant have an astringent taste which decreases water retention and is used as a tonic for a congested liver. Keep in mind that not all tea detoxes are equal. For the best results, look for organic teas that contain herbs blended together.
It is essential to understand that the process of detoxing requires more than merely drinking certain teas for a specific period. It also requires removing any burden from your organs during the detox process.
Simplifying your diet
Staying away from alcohol, coffee, dairy, sugar & fatty meat
Avoiding all processed foods
Do You Need a Tea Detox?
Fatigued or suffer from a significant lack of energy and motivation. You may also fight frequent bouts of insomnia
Depression, irritability, poor concentration or brain fog
Digestion issues – Abdominal pain, gas, bloating, constipation or diarrhea, and frequent indigestion)
Skin problems, such as acne or eczema
Mood continually fluctuates for no real reason
Excessive sweating or overheating
Your body is resistant to weight loss
Bad breath or a strong body odor
Joint pain and muscle aches
You drink alcohol to the point of intoxication
Benefits of a Tea Detox
Before looking at the health benefits of specific herbs, let’s look at the benefits of completing a tea detox:
Enhances Your Immune System
Organic teas are naturally high in antioxidants. Antioxidants protect your body from free radicals that break down your immune system.
Provides a Liver Cleanse
Your liver is the organ responsible for getting rid of toxins in the body through a 2-step process. This includes converting toxins into harmless agents and waste products. Over time, your body can build up excess toxins in the liver, which begins to slow down the entire process. A tea detox gets rid of these toxins in the liver, allowing it to get back to functioning at its optimal level.
Gives Your Metabolism a Boost For Weight Loss
Certain herbs can increase your metabolism to burn extra calories, even while you’re resting. As you can see, this contributes to weight loss.
Assists In The Digestion Process
Thanks to the natural compounds detox teas release, your body has a much easier time with digestion. This is because the process of emptying the colon helps to speed up the time it takes to release the toxins.
Decreases Your Risk of Certain Diseases
Studies say that your risk of heart disease and stroke decrease when drinking tea. Keep in mind that you will need to consume tea daily; though not in the same amount you would during detoxing, to maintain this benefit.
An Easy Guide to Using Ayurveda in Western Daily Life.
Enter your Name & Email to .
Improves the Appearance of Your Skin
Increases Your Energy Levels
Health Benefits Associated with Specific Types of Tea
Weight loss – Green tea has a well-documented history of working as a fat burner to increase your metabolic rate to burn more fat than usual.
Purifying Effects – It is exceptionally efficient at filtering your blood and eradicating toxins from your organs. The catechins (a type of antioxidant) found in green tea also can kill bacteria and slow down the spread of viruses in the body.
Improved Brain Function – Improves neurological function to help you concentrate better and recall information easier. Also, some people find they no longer struggle with insomnia after completing a green tea detox.
This variety of fermented tea has plenty of health benefits when used to detox:
- Clearer Skin – Thanks to its ability to neutralize free radicals, Pu-erh helps to clear up blemishes. It's also particularly effective in evening out and lightening skin tone.
- Purifying the Blood – The fermentation process required for this tea creates unique micro-organisms to attack toxins trapped in the blood.
- Enhanced Weight Loss – Valued by the Chinese to suppress fatty acid synthesis. This means it can stop the body from producing more fat. Also, the caffeine contained in the tea can make it easier for your body to burn stored fatty acids.
Yerba Mate Tea
Yerba mate tea is native to South America. When consumed as part of a tea detox, yerba mate is particularly beneficial. Benefits include:
- Increases Flow of Urine – It can both soften stools and stimulate intestinal contractions. This supports detoxing by increasing how much water is lost during evacuation and urination. According to The Review of Natural Products, Facts and Comparisons Group, Yerba Mate stimulates intestinal contractions and softens stools, thus generally helping to detox the body by controlling constipation and increasing the water loss from digestive movements, urination, and evacuation. (February 1997)
- Enhances Mental Clarity – Due to the caffeine found in Yerba Mate, you'll notice an improvement in mental functions, including the ability to concentrate and recall information better.
- Significant Boost in Energy – Yerba Mate tea is especially potent when it comes to increasing energy levels. For example, one study found fatty acid oxidation, as well as the energy expenditure derived from the oxidation process increased by 24% when 1000mg of yerba tea was consumed 60 minutes before exercising .
Fennel tea is from the leaves, stalks, and seeds found in the flowers of the fennel plant. When incorporated into a tea detox, fennel tea offers many benefits, especially for the digestive system. They include:
- Eliminating Internal Bacteria Fennel tea has a long history of reducing acid levels in the stomach, which gets rid of bacteria hiding in the intestines. It is also highly beneficial if you suffer from heartburn or indigestion for this reason.
- Cleansing The Blood – It increases urine flow to flush toxins quickly out of the liver. For this reason, it also improves kidney function and inhibits the formation of kidney stones.
- Weight Loss – By increasing urination, fennel tea decreases water retention, which is crucial for weight loss. It also gives your metabolism a boost, which diminishes cellulite, regulates appetite, and allows you to burn fat faster.
Milk Thistle Tea
Seeds from the Silybum Mariano make milk thistle tea, which is highly valuable for detoxing the liver. During detox, milk thistle tea:
- Cleanses the Liver – Besides preventing toxins from binding to liver cell membrane receptors, milk thistle tea has also been shown to reduce damage to the liver caused by alcohol, various other drugs (such as Acetaminophen), and environmental toxins.
- Detox the Kidneys – Milk thistle works wonders at detoxing the kidney, as well as stimulating the regeneration of its cells.
Made by roasting the root, leaves, and blossoms of the dandelion is another great option for tea detoxes, thanks to the benefits it offers. They include:
Getting Ready to Detox
While you may be tempted to start your tea detox immediately, I don't recommend it. It is best to prepare yourself and your body.
To do this, follow the tips below.
Five days before you detox cut sources of sugar from your diet. This includes sweets, prepackaged meals, cookies, and alcohol.
Also, five days before, opt for a more straightforward diet with foods that you can digest easily.
Drink plenty of water, while avoiding caffeine. Remember, it’s crucial to drink around 1.5L of water a day!
Incorporating Detox Tea In Your Liver Detox Plan
Include the following teas with your meals and also in-between meals when needed.
If you are new to the world of tea detoxes, get ready to see some fantastic results!
Please do not hesitate to leave me any questions or comments in the space below. I'm here to help you be the healthiest and happiest version of yourself possible. So, let me know if you need anything, and I will be sure to get back within “hours” most of the time. xo