Your skin is an organ that breathes and absorbs, so think of skincare products as food. As a rule, if you cannot eat it, don't use it on your skin. Skin eats (absorbs) whatever you feed it. So, whatever you put on your skin, it is ingested by the bloodstream to become food for tissue building.
In this article, we give you some excellent Ayurveda skincare recipes that can deliver healthy, flawless skin.
You will have more beautiful skin using natural products than with man-made, artificial, chemical laden products. Just make sure to use organic ingredients and food grade essential oils. Even though organic products are more expensive, you'll get better results because they are free of toxic fertilizers and chemicals.
If you have sensitive, oily, or dry skin… You can easily make pure skincare products with ingredients you can trust.
What is your skin type?
Knowing your skin type is the key to making effective homemade skincare recipes. The first step is to find out what your type is so you can care for it properly. Your skin type is determined by your constitution or body/mind type.
The first rule of Ayurvedic skincare is to cleanse, nourish and moisturize. Even if you do nothing else, this 3-step routine will give you a healthy, youthful complexion throughout your life. (Provided you have a healthy diet and lifestyle.)
Vata Skin Type
Vata skin is thin, dry, delicate with fine pores, and cool to the touch. If you have Vata in your constitution and are out of balance, your skin will be rough, flakey, and very dry with possible eczema. The greatest challenge for Vata type skin is an inclination to wrinkle early, and loss of elasticity.
Vata type skin type needs homemade skin care recipes that include moisturizing, warm, softening ingredients like avocado, sesame, or hazelnut oil.
Ayurveda Skin Care Recipes for Vata Skin Type
1 tsp Almond meal
1 tsp Dry milk
1/2 tsp Fresh Cream
3 drops Rosewater
Combine equal parts of first two ingredients and store in a spice jar. Make a paste in your palm of hand by adding wet ingredients as you use.
Mix 1 ounce avocado, sesame, or hazelnut oil
3 drops Geranium essential oil
5 drops Rose essential oil
Mix with a few drops of water and pat face and neck until your skin starts to absorb.
Melt 1 1/2 oz Cocoa butter in double boiler
Add 4 oz avocado oil
Remove from heat and let cool. With an eye, dropper add 3-4 drops each of Geranium and Rose oil.
Gently apply to face, neck, and shoulders.
Best Ways to Care for Vata Skin Type
- Start the day with a cup of hot water with the juice of one fresh squeezed lemon.
- Avoid exposing your skin to cold, windy weather.
- Take a Vata pacifying diet that focuses on organic whole grains, leafy greens, warm spiced soups & stews.
- Eat plenty of sweet juicy fruits that hydrate, and drink plenty of water. Licorice, Chamomile & Ginger teas are especially good.
- Make sure you're eating healthy fat in your diet for internal lubrication. Ghee and olive oil are good choices.
- Give yourself a daily abhyanga (warm oil massage) with sesame oil.
- Use gentle skin care products. Vata skin type is delicate, and will not tolerate products with chemical ingredients.
- Find ways to ground and calm yourself. Take slow walks in nature, meditation, and gentle yoga.
Pitta Skin Type
This type of skin is of medium thickness, ruddy, pink or red, fair, sensitive, sunburns easily, and prone to freckles and moles.
Ayurveda Skin Care Recipes for Pitta Skin Type
Mix 1 oz Almond oil
10 drops each Rose and Sandalwood oil
Store in dark glass bottle with a dropper
In the palm of a hand, mix 2-3 drops of the mixture with a few drops of water and massage face and neck.
Mix 1 tsp Almond meal
1/2 tsp Dry milk
1/4 tsp Ground orange peel
Mix and store in spice jar
In the palm of the hand, add 1/4 tsp of mix + a few drops of Rosewater or fresh cream. Apply to face and neck, massage gently. Rinse with cool water.
Melt 1 oz cocoa butter in double boiler.
Add 3 oz coconut oil
Remove from heat and let cool.
Using a dropper, add 2-3 drops Lavender essential oil
2 drops Neroli essential oil
Gently apply to face and neck.
Best Ways to Care for Pitta Skin Type
- Start the day with a cup of hot water with the juice of one squeezed lemon.
- Avoid heat and the sun.
- Take a Pitta reducing diet that is not too spicy, hot, sour, or salty. Avoid or reduce alcohol and meat which are both heating. Focus on vegetables and leafy greens.
- Eat plenty of sweet, juicy, cooling fruit like coconut, melons, and blueberries.
- Drink lots of water. Aloe juice and rose water are good choices.
- Use lots of coriander, cumin, and fennel in your cooking.
- Give yourself a daily abhyanga (warm oil massage) with coconut oil.
- Use products with Rose as an ingredient gives beautiful Pitta skin type.
- Cooling essential oils of rose, honeysuckle, and lavender are recommended.
Kapha Skin Type
Kapha type skin is thick, pale, oily, soft, and cool to the touch. This type of skin ages well and doesn't wrinkle much. It is the most tolerant of the three skin types, but can sometimes be greasy and have large pores and blackheads when imbalanced.
Ayurvedic Skin Care Recipes for Kapha
Mix 1 tsp Barley meal
1/2 tsp dry milk
1 tsp lemon peel
Store in spice jar
In the palm of the hand, mix a pinch of the mixture to water.
Apply to face and neck and massage. Rinse well with warm water.
Mix 1 oz sunflower oil
10 drops Lavender oil
5 drops Bergamot essential oil
5 drops Sandalwood essential oil
Store in dark glass bottle with dropper.
In palm mix 2 drops with a few drops of water.
Apply (pat) to face and neck.
Melt 1 oz Cocoabutter in double boiler.
Add 3 ox Almond oil.
Remove from heat and let cool.
Add 1 drop basil
2 drops Bergamot essential oil
Apply a very small amount to face and neck
Best Ways to Care for Kapha Skin Type
- Start the day with a cup of hot water, add the juice of one squeezed lemon.
- Kapha-type skin is prone to accumulating toxins more than the other types. Frequent facials to draw out impurities is recommended.
- Exfoliate with a mask at least once a week.
- Avoid heavy, greasy, cold, sweet foods. Avoid deep-fried foods.
- Take a Kapha-reducing diet that favors organic vegetables and pungent spices, like black pepper and ginger, to stoke the digestive fire.
- Exercise daily to improve circulation.
So there you have it… safe natural, earth-friendly alternatives to chemical-laden-over-the-counter products.
Try it and see how amazing the results are for yourself. Making your skincare products is fun, creative and can save you a ton of money.
But in the end, if that's too much trouble for you or you simply do not have the time and space to make your own Ayurvedic skincare recipes, you can find authentic Ayurvedic skincare products here. USE MOH10 DISCOUNT CODE for SAVINGS