Sweet potatoes (ipomoea batatas) are not just delicious and versatile — they're also incredibly nutritious and can provide a multitude of health benefits. From improving digestion to aiding weight management, sweet potatoes are packed with essential nutrients that will help you stay fit and healthy.
Here we explore the many health benefits of adding sweet potatoes to your diet and share our favorite Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges with Herbed Coconut Yogurt Dip recipe.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Great Source of Dietary Fiber
First off, sweet potatoes are a great source of dietary fiber, which is essential for keeping your digestive system running smoothly.
Fiber helps keep stools regular and can reduce constipation as well as helping to lower cholesterol levels. Additionally, fiber can help you feel fuller longer, making it easier to manage portion sizes when trying to lose or maintain weight.
Rich in Vitamins and Minerals
Sweet potatoes are rich in important vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin B6 and potassium. Vitamin A is essential for cell growth and the development of healthy skin, teeth and bones. It also helps to protect against cancer and other diseases.
Vitamin B6 plays an important role in metabolism and can help to fight fatigue. Potassium helps to regulate body fluids and can improve heart health by lowering blood pressure.
High in Antioxidants
Sweet potatoes are also a great source of antioxidants — compounds that protect cells from damage which can lead to chronic diseases like cancer and diabetes. Studies have found that sweet potatoes contain more than two times the amount of antioxidants in white potatoes. The orange-fleshed varieties are high in beta carotene (vitamin A) making them an ideal choice for boosting your health.
An Easy Guide to Using Ayurveda in Western Daily Life.
Enter your Name & Email to .
Optimal Blood Sugar Balance
Eating sweet potatoes can also help you achieve an optimal blood sugar balance. Because they have a low glycemic index, sweet potatoes are broken down slowly in the body, meaning they can provide sustained energy and prevent blood sugar levels from spiking too high. This makes them especially beneficial for people with diabetes or those looking to avoid developing the condition.
So as you can see, sweet potatoes have a lot to offer in terms of health benefits. They are packed with important vitamins and minerals, contain fiber for improved digestion and are loaded with antioxidants that help protect against chronic diseases.
With all these benefits, it's no wonder why sweet potatoes should be part of your regular diet. So next time you're at the grocery store, be sure to pick up some sweet potatoes so you can try our Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges! It's one of my favorite ways to enjoy the health benefits of sweet potatoes!
Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges with Herbed Coconut Yogurt Dip RECIPE
Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges with Herbed Coconut Yogurt Dip
- 2 large Sweet potatoes, sliced into wedges
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Curry powder
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 Cup Coconut yogurt
- 2 tsp Fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp Fresh dill, minced
- 3 tbsp Fresh parsley, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potato wedges with the melted coconut oil and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, curry powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon. Sprinkle spice mixture over the sweet potatoes wedges and toss until all wedges are lightly coated.
- Arrange the sweet potato wedges on a prepared baking sheet in a signle layer. For crispier wedges, do not over-crowd.
- Place baking sheet in preheated oven and roast until the sweet potatoes are golden brown and crispy around the edges, around 30-35 minutes. Flip once halfway through the cooking process to brown both sides.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, mix the coconut yogurt with the lemon juice, dill, and parsley in a small bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Once browned, remove the sweet potato wedges from the oven and sprinkle generously with salt. Let cook slightly before with the herbed coconut yogurt dip! YUM! Enjoy!