When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use When diet is correct, medicine is of no need
If you eat the foods to boost the immune system suggested below on a regular basis, it will be less likely that you, or someone in your family, will get sick…and if they do, they will most likely recover much sooner.
Your immune system, as the name suggests, is a system, not a single entity. Therefore, to function well, it also needs all other body systems and parts to be healthy. You can’t just work on your immune system and overlook the rest; your digestive system, in particular, is very important.
The strength of your immune system is dependent on the health of your entire body…and your digestive system plays a key role.
While there’s no single anything you can do, or take to boost your immune system…With the right combination of diet, herbs, and lifestyle you can feed the immune system the right fuel to avoid colds, viruses, and disease throughout the year.
In fact, the best medicine for colds, flu, and other diseases is to prevent them from happening in the first place.
CLEAN EATING 101: Kicking the Junk Food Habit in 30 days!
Take the Next Step & Make a Plan to Eat a Clean, Whole, Plant-Based Diet Beginning Today
Enter your Name & Email to .
There are things you can do to keep yourself and family less susceptible to illness. The best part is they are free of side-effects, and they can save you money and trips to the doctor.
Good Immunity Depends on Good Digestion
Let’s begin with the foods you eat because when it comes to immunity, eating good food and digesting it well is extremely important. The gut is the immune system’s HQ.
Foods to Boost The Immune System
Eat seasonal local organic, non-GMO foods whenever possible. Support your local farmer’s market. It’s best to eat food grown close to home. Here’s a list of 25 superfoods that will make your life super healthy.
Buying and eating organic foods free of harmful chemicals has higher nutritional value, better taste, and is better for the planet.
Skip all food devoid of nutritional value, like deep-fried anything, fast food or chemical-laden processed foods.
Decrease the amount of fatty-high protein foods. The better the fuel, the better you’ll feel.
Eat more fresh foods Eat less flesh foods
These foods contribute to digestive health and overall immunity:
- Many types of beans, including black, mung and fava
- Fresh Yogurt (not fruit yogurt cups)
- Ghee, sesame & coconut oil
- Organic raw honey
- Sesame and sunflower seeds
- Cashews, almonds, walnuts, pumpkin & macadamia nuts
- Sweet potato & yams
- Organic milk (warmed and spiced with cardamon)
- Bone broths
- Coconut meat or flakes
- Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, goji berries
- Steel-cut oatmeal (not quick cooking)
- Brown rice
- Cauliflower & Broccoli
- Jerusalem artichokes
Immunity Building Spices
Spices are important for strengthing digestive fire. Healthy digestion leads to healthy immunity. Most commercial spices have been irradiated which means that their life force has been mostly destroyed. Buy your spices in small quantities and change them a few times a year because they lose the healing properties within 6 months or so.
Immunity Building Herbs
- Aloe vera
- Wild Yam
- Chavyanprash – A rejuvenating jam made from ghee, honey and tonic herbs
Immunity Building Lifestyle Tips
Healthy digestion Without healthy digestion, you cannot make good body tissue necessary for healthy immune function. To maintain healthy digestion:
- Use spices that promote digestion in your cooking: Ginger, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper, fennel
- Sip hot water throughout the day
- Drink a cup of ginger tea before meals
- Sit to eat (as opposed to standing, driving, or any other activity)
- Eat your main meal at noon (your digestive fire is strongest mid-day)
- Chew your food well. Digestion begins in the mouth, so chew your food thoroughly digestion begins in the mouth.
- Don’t eat if you’re upset
- Avoid ice water or any iced drinks
Undigested foods, toxic thoughts, and emotions, GMOs, pesticides, household cleaners, heavy metals, even the chemicals in shampoos and shower gels make it necessary to detox 2 times a year. Toxins are the primary reason diseases develop. When too many toxins are stored inside us, parasites feed and begin to settle into the weak places within the body. Detoxing your liver every spring and fall will keep your immunity strong throughout the year.
Daily self-massage is called abhyanga (abby-unga). The effects of self-massage benefit immunity greatly.
- Place high-grade sesame or coconut oil in a squeeze bottle. (sesame in cooler months, coconut in warmer months) Warm the oil to comfortable temp on a stove or under hot water. (Do not microwave)
- Find a warm draft free place and undress.
- Apply a small amount of oil to hand and start massaging the oil into your scalp with fingertips. If you don’t want oil in your hair, start with your head, but don’t use oil.
- Using your palm apply long strokes to long bones and circular strokes around joints.
- Cover your entire body and allow the oil to penetrate for 10-20 minutes.
- Take a warm bath or shower and use a mild soap or no soap at all. (Soap is drying and ruins the protective power of the oil.
The ability to let go of thoughts and emotions is a powerful way to boost the immune system. The easiest way to begin meditating is by focusing on the breath and letting go of random thoughts. When the mind wanders, bring it back to the breath. Aim for 20 minutes in the morning and again before bed.
Regular gentle exercise for half-hour 5 days per week can facilitate immunity. Gentle yoga, walking, hiking are all great choices
Take a seat in the morning and take 10 deep breaths focusing on the inhale and exhale. Do this again in the evening if possible or even throughout your day…especially when you’re feeling stressed. Or try alternate nostril breathing to calm your mind and purify your emotions. It improves brain function better than any nootropic.
Mental & Physical Relaxation
If you don’t already have something in place that allows you to relax and let go…try Yoga Nidra. Yoga Nidra is a guided meditation that enables you to reach a state of consciousness between waking and sleeping.
It feels like your body is sleeping, but your mind is fully awake. 20 minutes of Yoga Nidra is the equivalent of 3 hours of sleep. It’s been researched at well-recognized universities and medical centers as a viable means of reversing numerous ailments.
Yoga Nidra can strengthen the immune system, help regulate high blood pressure, assist the endocrine system and improve sleep and aid insomnia.
Sleep is a time when the body restores itself. Observe nature and learn from animals who naturally follow natural rhythms. The body restores itself at night. Aim to fall asleep by 10 pm. The most beneficial sleep occurs in the first half of the night. Your immune system will be weakened unless you know how to get a good night of sleep.
Spend Time in Nature Every Day
Spend time in nature on a regular basis to restore harmony to the elements of your body. Nature is a rich source of immunity building qualities, so take a walk in the forest or along the lake shore. Think of it as a prescription with no negative side-effects that are also free of charge. When you utilize the above list of foods to boost immune system combined with the immunity boosting lifestyle tips, you have a better chance of fighting off colds, infections and stay healthy throughout the year.
Please promise me you won’t hesitate to ask me questions in the comment area below. I’m here to help you live the healthiest and happiest version of yourself possible. Let me know if you need anything and I will be sure to get back within “hours” most of the time.
Why Thrive Market?
Do you know about Thrive Market?
It’s an online health food market offering Non-GMO organic groceries and natural health and beauty products. All I can say is that I’ve become a wholehearted supporter over the last year! In fact, I recently wrote a review of Thrive Market to spread the word. Here’s why…
- Products at Thrive Market are typically 25-50% less expensive than if you were to purchase the exact same item at Whole Foods or your local market. They even have Amazon’s prices beat!
- They have continuous promotions that enable you to save even more money or get free gifts. For example, clicking this link will get you a free bottle of maple syrup.
- If you use this link, you can save another 25% off your first order and get free shipping – This is in addition to the 25-50% off you’ll already be saving.
- It’s quick and convenient – My orders arrive typically within 2 days. For example, if I order on Monday, my box arrives on Wednesday… And they have free nationwide delivery!
- Thrive Market is a socially conscious platform with a social mission. For every member on their site, the company also sponsors a free membership for a low-income family make healthy food available for all! How cool is that?