This satisfying, earthy, creamy wild rice mushroom soup is so warm and comforting. The wild rice is filling, while the finely minced and chopped vegetables give the soup consistent flavor throughout. What’s more, its “creaminess” comes from pureed cannellini beans and coconut milk, rather than dairy products.
Creamy Wild Rice Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup wild rice blend uncooked
- 1 small white onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 12 oz fresh mushrooms, washed, rough chopped
- 1 15 oz can Cannelli beans, undrained For less salt, rinse and drain the beans before pureeing them.
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 6-8 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Rinse the wild rice under cold running water until water runs clear. Let drain and transfer to a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to a food processor and pulse until very finely minced, and transfer to slow cooker crock.
- Add 2/3 of the mushrooms to the food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Thinly slice remaining mushrooms and add to slow cooker pot, along with the finely chopped mushrooms.
- Add cannellini beans and a little water to the food processor and puree until smooth. Pour into slow cooker crock with other ingredients. Add bay leaf, garlic powder, and 6 cups of vegetable stock. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8. Actual cooking time will vary by individual slow cooker, so check for doneness after 2½ hours (or 5½ hours for low) and adjust cooking time accordingly. (The rice should be tender, but not mushy, when finished).
- When cooking time is complete, remove bay leaf and discard. Add coconut milk, chopped parsley, and additional vegetable stock, if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency.
- Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine thoroughly. Serve immediately and enjoy!