For most of us, Memorial Day weekend is the official start of summer. For the next few days, we'll be eating more of our favorite summertime foods, and these Strawberry Caprese Skewers are on the menu. Sweet juicy strawberries, chopped basil, fresh mozzarella, this is exactly how summer should taste.
A traditional Caprese salad calls for sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, salt, pepper, and olive oil. It can also be dressed with a balsamic glaze.
But in this fun variation of the traditional Caprese salad, we replace the classic tomato with strawberries and then pair it with a rich balsamic glaze and skewer it!
This quick and easy appetizer is sure to be a hit at your Memorial Day gathering. If you love the traditional Caprese, made with tomatoes, you'll love everything about these sweet and savory Strawberry Skewers. This appetizer is easy and delicious!
I made these Strawberry Caprese skewers last Memorial day and it was a huge hit. And you can easily make it into a main dish by adding any protein you like.
One of the best things about this salad is that it's not only fresh and delicious, but it's also super simple to make. It comes together in a short amount of time and it can be made in advance to avoid feeling last-minute stress.
Strawberry Caprese Skewers With Balsamic Glaze
Strawberry Caprese Skewers with Balsamic Glaze
A fun, delicious twist on the classic Tomato Caprese Salad. Here sweet strawberries replace the tomato which pairs beautifully with the rich balsamic glaze and fresh basil.
- 16 smaller fresh strawberries, washed and cut across the width, hull intact
- 32 medium fresh basil leaves, washed and patted dry
- 16 mini Mozzarella balls
- 1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp High-quality extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Thread the top of one strawberry onto a wooden skewer with the hull facing up. Next, fold one basil leaf in half, dark side facing out, and add it to the skewer. Add one mini-mozzarella ball, followed by another folded basil leaf, and the bottom half on the strawberry.
- Repeat Step #1 with the remaining strawberries, basil, and Mozzarella until you have 16 completed skewers. Arrange on a serving platter and set aside.
- To prepare the glaze, add balsamic vinegar to a small saute pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vinegar is reduced to about 1/3 of its original volume.
- Remove glaze from heat and let cool slightly. Drizzle over the skewers, along with some extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Serve immediately. Enjoy!