Modern Ayurveda Review – an online course that explains the traditions of Ayurveda from a modern perspective. Taught by Cate Stillman, it is designed to help you bring the teachings of Ayurveda into everyday life.
Modern Ayurveda Review covers a lot from the Ayurvedic perspective:
- Health issues
- Cycles in life
Modern Ayurveda Review – What's Inside Modern Ayurveda:
Modern Ayurveda Has 3 Video Modules
- Intro + 3 Dosha Theory
- How Energy Works + Rhythm
- The Daily Rhythms
- Habits of Yogis
- The 5 Koshas
- Prakruti and Vikruti
- Stage of Life and Rites of Passage
- What Yogis Eat
- Kids and Elders – What to look for to know if they're well
- Yoga to Balance Your Doshas
- Yoga + Energy
- How to Heal; Sanctuary
Module two continues with a deep dive into the stages of life from birth all the way to death and the rites of passages we use to mark them. The teachings here will help you optimize your journey through the different stages of life… Or to help you through a stage of transition or transformation.
On the path of learning Ayurveda and Yoga, you may find that you may make different choices about what to eat. Here Cate explores feeding yourself and explains that on any path to higher consciousness, it's best to consume food with a strong life force.
In the section on What Yogi's Eat, Cate covers:
- Moving away from the standard American diet
- Food preservation
- Living foods
- Preparing foods
- The best diet for each season
- Kitchen sadhana (practices)
- Dehydrated foods
- Animal products and much more
- What is Health – 1
- What is Health – 2
- Your Tongue
- The Chakras
- Why Yogi's Detox
- Spices as Medicine
Module 3 begins with What is Health – Part 1 & 2. This section gives a new perspective – an Eastern perspective to examine who we are to give you an awareness of your mind-body connection.
As you progress through this last module, you'll learn about tongue diagnosis – How to read your tongue to tell you about the health of your digestion.
Next, Cate dives into the Chakras or energy centers. She walks you through each chakra so you can start to become aware of the subtle patterning in your mind and emotions.
Next up, Cate explains why Yogi's detox with relationship to Ayurveda so that we can begin to shift our habits into alignment with who we want to be next. She finishes out this section with detox suggestions for each dosha, Vata – Pitta – Kapha.
Module 3 ends with how to use spices as simple solutions to small imbalances so we're not forced to take toxic pharmaceuticals. She includes many spices you already have in your spice rack and tea recipes to put you quickly back on track.
your doshas get the most from your yoga practice. Module 2 ends with how to create a home healing space.
Highlights of What's Inside Modern Ayurveda
- How Ayurveda is intergenerational and it's awake living
- The 3 energies or Doshas; Vata, Kapha, and Pitta
- How we can apply these energies to our modern life
- How rhythms and cycles are important to our lives
- The 5 koshas or body hygiene/habits
- Prakruti, which is constitution and Vikruti, which means out of balance
- How living food is very important to your health and mental well being
- How the kitchen can be the spiritual center of the house
- Asking yourself, “What do I need from my yoga practice today?”
- How important touch is to healing
- How if we don't keep ourselves in balance, that's when disease manifests itself
- Comparing the East and West traditional medical perspectives
- “What is health?” through the Ayurvedic perspective
- 3 main causes of disease
- Be aware of your tongue
- How the color of your tongue can determine any health issues
- Explaining the 7 chakras
- How detox shifts your body into alignment
- Where food comes from and how is it sourced
What Makes the Program Unique
Cate Stillman will give you exactly what you need, with simple how-to guides to heal your body and life. She is one bright light and you'll love her, and her teaching style within the first five minutes.
There is an extensive amount of information about Ayurveda and Yoga. If you are interested in learning Ayurveda, this is the perfect entry level course.
Pros of Modern Ayurveda
- Video learning makes it easy to watch at your own pace with the ability to jump around the modules that interest you most
- This course is very interesting and engaging with over 18 videos. The instruction is simple and you can put to use on day 1.
- Cate's teaching style feels like you have a 1:1 teacher in the comfort of your own home. She gives clear explanations and easy tips to help you integrate Ayurveda into your daily life.
- Cate uses a whiteboard to write information down for the student to easily take notes
- “Text companion” document so you can go back to reference important information and learn by reading if that's what you like better
- You can stream the videos online and/or download the videos to save them for later
- The course is an inexpensive and time efficient way to learn Ayurveda
- 60 Days Money-back guarantee
Cons of Modern Ayurveda
- Modern Ayurveda may not be for you if you have strong religious views or a background whose teachings contradict the teachings of Ayurveda.
- The course is over 12 hours. There were 18 videos in the course. I would recommend pacing yourself when watching the videos since there is a lot of information to process.
- If you want to integrate Ayurveda into your life as a preventative lifestyle, you'll need to apply the information which will take effort on your part, but the results will be worth it!
About Cate Stillman
Cate Stillman is the creator of Modern Ayurveda. She is a Clinical Ayurvedic Specialist and also a graduate of Dr. Vasant Lad's Gurukula program in Pune, India.
Also, Cate is a certified Anusara Yoga teacher and the founder of the Worldwide Association of Yoga Health Coaches. She also trains other people to be yoga instructors and wellness coaches in the Ayurvedic traditions.
If you've ever wanted to learn a practical approach to understanding and implementing the health benefits of Ayurveda, Modern Ayurveda is worth diving into.
The program will give you well-rounded Ayurvedic knowledge. I searched for years to find a program to learn Ayurveda and how to live an Ayurvedic lifestyle back around the year 2000. At that time there was nothing available, so I ended up enrolling and studying at The California College of Ayurveda. That experience changed my life because it taught me how to live in harmony with the natural laws of the universe so I could heal and ward off common and chronic ailments.
That experience was expensive (over 15k) and took 3 years… But it was worth every cent and second. Modern Ayurveda will give you your own experience from the comfort of your own home, for a fraction of the cost.
There is a wealth of useful information and the vibe is like having a knowledgeable friend teaching you everything you need to know about this sacred science.
I hope I have sufficiently covered anything you may want to know about Modern Ayurveda in this review. But, if you have further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to ask below in the comment area.