Nut and Seeds
To decide which healthy milk alternatives are best for your particular needs, here are your options:
CLEAN EATING 101: Kicking the Junk Food Habit in 30 days!
Take the Next Step & Make a Plan to Eat a Clean, Whole, Plant-Based Diet Beginning Today
Enter your Name & Email to .
Nut or Seed Milk
Advantages and Disadvantages of Dairy Milk Alternatives
Finally, most soy products consumed in the West are GMOs grown with masses of artificial fertilizers and pesticides. And even if you believe genetically modified plants are safe, you can’t say the same for fertilizers and pesticides, which remain on the soybeans.
Mixed Grain Milk
Sunflower can also be tough to find in your market, so you may need to make it yourself.
To Make Sunflower Milk
Blend 1/4 seeds to 3/4 water and strain.
Coconut Milk & Cream
Cashew Milk and Cream
Making Healthy Milk Alternatives at Home
If you want the freshest, more pure and delicious milk, create your own. Packaged products have a longer shelf life, are more convenient, but they also have additives, and there’s no comparison regarding taste.
Here is the primary method for preparing plant-based milk:
- Soak solid ingredients
- Cook if necessary (most grains make better milk if cooked)
- Combine solids with water in a high-speed blender or food processor
- Strain (if you choose)
Begin by soaking your solid ingredients by covering them with a few inches of water. Let them soak overnight or for at least 8 hours, (softer grains, like oats, can soak for just a few hours.) Then rinse and drain.
If you are making a grain-based milk, it is recommended you cook the grain for a better flavor.
You can adjust the ration of raw materials to water to your liking. For a more flavorful, creamy milk use a 1:2 ratio. If you desire a thinner consistency and more mildly flavor use a 1:4 ratio. For instance, when I make almond milk I soak 1 cup almonds overnight. In the morning I strain and rinse, then add them along with 4 cups of water to my high-speed blender. In general, the less water you use, the thicker and more flavorful your milk will be.
The Solid Ingredients
- White and brown rice
- Sunflower seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Hemp seeds
Recommended Plant-Based Milk Cookbook
I highly recommend this cookbook if you want delicious plant-based milk recipes. It is the bible of milk alternatives, helping you prepare, select, and cook all varieties.
The first section of the book provides instructions for making an incredible range of non-dairy milk, followed by suggestions for use. Then dive into recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner; sweets and breads; and smoothies and drinks. Each recipe specifies the ideal type of non-dairy milk, and most alternatives, so you can tweak them for your dietary needs and taste preferences.
Why Thrive Market?
Do you know about Thrive Market?
It’s an online health food market selling organic groceries and natural health and beauty products. All I can say is that I’ve become a wholehearted supporter over the last year! In fact, I recently wrote a review of Thrive Market to spread the word. Here’s why…
- Products at Thrive Market are typically 25-50% less expensive than if you were to purchase the exact same item at Whole Foods or your local market. They even have Amazon’s prices beat!
- They have continuous promotions that enable you to save even more money or get free gifts. For example, clicking this link will get you a free bottle of maple syrup.
- If you use this link, you can save another 25% off your first order and get free shipping – This is in addition to the 25-50% off you’ll already be saving.
- It’s quick and convenient – My orders arrive typically within 2 days. For example, if I order on Monday, my box arrives on Wednesday… And they have free nationwide delivery!
- Thrive Market is a socially conscious platform with a social mission. For every member on their site, the company also sponsors a free membership for a low-income family make healthy food available for all! How cool is that?