Preparing Your Garden in the Spring
1. When To Start
2. Change Locations and Rotate Crops
3. Add Nitrogen by Planting a Cover Crop
4. Take a Soil Test
Soil testing is often neglected by the home gardener. But a soil test will show you which nutrients are lacking in your vegetables and fruits. Most tests suggest which additives and amendments will help the growth of your crops.
5. Add Compost to Improve Your Soil
- Winter savory
Also, plant garlic now if you didn’t get it planted in fall, allow nine months for harvest.
Soil for growing herbs does not need to be rich or even amended with anything other than a light amount of compost. As mentioned above, compost improves drainage, necessary for growing herbs.
Start the Tulsi plant from seeds indoors. Then put it outside when temperatures warm, and pay particular attention to pinching, pruning, and fertilizing
If you take special care of your Tulsi basil plant through summer, it will be hearty and robust to come inside to live as a houseplant next fall. This provides regular use of Holy Basil leaves for your ailments.
Wherever you’re located, start getting your spring garden ready to grow your choice of vegetables and herbs. They’re healthier for you and your family and will offer you a sense of accomplishment.
Why Thrive Market?
Do you know about Thrive Market?
It's an online health food market selling organic groceries and natural health and beauty products. All I can say is that I've become a wholehearted supporter over the last year! In fact, I recently wrote a review of Thrive Market to spread the word. Here's why…
- Products at Thrive Market are typically 25-50% less expensive than if you were to purchase the exact same item at Whole Foods or your local market. They even have Amazon's prices beat!
- They have continuous promotions that enable you to save even more money or get free gifts. For example, clicking this link will get you a free bottle of maple syrup.
- If you use this link, you can save another 25% off your first order and get free shipping – This is in addition to the 25-50% off you'll already be saving.
- It's quick and convenient – My orders arrive typically within 2 days. For example, if I order on Monday, my box arrives on Wednesday… And they have free nationwide delivery!
- Thrive Market is a socially conscious platform with a social mission. For every member on their site, the company also sponsors a free membership for a low-income family make healthy food available for all! How cool is that?
Written by Becca Badgett
Becca is a long- time gardener with a passion for growing organically in the vegetable garden and sharing her experience. She believes everyone should grow a herb garden, inground or in containers and use those herbs on a regular basis to improve overall health. Her passion for growing led her to attend a Horticulture Program at a local community college and share what she’s learned with numerous articles on the web. She is certified in Greenhouse Management and Operations, Landscape Design and is licensed as an NC Pest Control professional. Take advantage of her expertise through our gardening articles and get your garden growing. She contributed to the book “How to Grow an Emergency Garden”, available on Amazon. Read it free on Kindle Unlimited