We had a bit of rain over the weekend and I couldn't stop thinking about a bowl of warm, creamy butternut squash soup. This easy roasted butternut squash soup recipe has simple ingredients but it is full of complex roasted butternut squash flavor and it is simply delicious. Most of the soup's flavor comes from roasting the butternut squash to bring out the sweet caramelized flavor.
Butternut squash is available year-round but is considered a winter squash because it's harvested in the fall.
I like the Butternut variety because it's so much easier to deal with than other types of squash. It has a thick, tough peel and firm flesh that makes it possible for storing over several months.
Butternut squash offers a good supply of vitamin A, potassium, and fiber and has a creamy, delicious flavor perfect for cold winter months.
An Easy Guide to Using Ayurveda in Western Daily Life.
Enter your Name & Email to .
This recipe is full of complex roasted butternut squash flavor and it is simply delicious. This easy, roasted butternut squash soup recipe is perfect for making ahead. The flavors are actually better the following day. If you are planning to make it ahead, you can make it the day before and reheat it on the stove.
We served it in mugs and paired it with grilled sharp cheddar cheese sandwiches.
This soup doesn't really need a garnish, but a shake of freshly ground black pepper, or add some toasted pumpkin seeds or toasted pecans for visual appeal.
Keep reading to get our Easy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup recipe.
Easy, Roasted Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Easy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 Cups Butternut squash, cubed
- 3 Large, firm apples, cubed
- 1 medium Red onion, chopped
- 1 Tsp Fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Allspice
- 2 Tbs Coconut oil, melted
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 4-5 Cups Chicken or Vegetable broth, organic
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper or Silpat baking mat. Set aside
- Combine butternut squash, apples, red onion, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and melted coconut oil in a large bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss to combine.
- Spread seasoned butternut squash mixture onto prepared baking sheet and spread into a single layer. Place in pre-heated oven and roast until squash is fork tender, approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before transferring one quarter of the roasted veggie mixture to a high-powered blender. Add one cup of broth to container and blend until smooth. Add a little more broth, if necessary, to reach desired consistency.
- Transfer puree to a large soup pot and repeat process with remaining vegetables and chicken broth. Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until soup is heated through, approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and adjust seasonings, as desired, before serving. Enjoy!