The thought of cooking delicious homemade soups without too much work is tempting. What you may not realize is that there are some recipes more suited to the slow cooking process than others. One of our favorite show cooker recipes is Southwest Chicken & Rice Soup.
This recipe is one of the easiest and most delicious soups you'll ever make, but I'm a sucker for delicious Mexican/Southwest-inspired recipes. I've even used my Instantpot for this recipe and it turned out just as delicious!
This Southwest Chicken & Rice soup is perfect for when you want a hearty recipe and can be prepped in as little as 12 minutes. Yet, it tastes like you spent all day cooking!
This meal is perfect for any family since it is both economical and healthy.
How to make Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken and Rice Soup
- Heat oil in large skillet and add olive oil and brown chicken breast. Season with salt and pepper or fajita seasoning if you like
- Now add the chicken, onion, green pepper, jalapeno, garlic, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomatoes, corn and brown rice into a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with avocado, cilantro, sour cream, tortilla chips or corn bread.
You can easily make variations of this recipe.
Make it spicy – If you like spicy, use a poblano pepper in place of the green bell pepper. You can also add cayenne pepper with the spices you add.
An Easy Guide to Using Ayurveda in Western Daily Life.
Enter your Name & Email to .
Vegetarian – You can easily make this recipe vegetarian by leaving out the chicken, and using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
This is also an easy recipe to prep ahead to save time by:
1. Chopping your chicken ahead
2. Chopping up your veggies (onion, peppers, garlic)
3. Measuring and mixing your seasonings
4. Measure, drain and rinse out the rice
Full Recipe Below
Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken & Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green pepper seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen organic corn
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- In a skillet, heat olive oil to medium-high heat and brown cubed chicken breast, season with salt and pepper or fajita seasoning (if you like).
- Add chicken, onion, green pepper, jalapeño, garlic, chile powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomatoes, corn, rice, and lime juice into a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with avocado, cilantro, sour cream and serve with tortilla chips or corn bread.